Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Travel Trendz Trilogy Update: Day 16, Oct 04






Today would be my reason for coming to Leh. My annual pilgrimage to the Thiksey Monastery to pay homage to the Maitreyi Buddha. Over the past many years that I have been coming to Leh, my primary reason has always been to visit the Thiksey Monastery. And today was that day again, after a gap of a year. But first, I had to touch base with Anil Reddy.

Electricity was a major problem and I had a whole lot of footage to dump and empty the cards on the cameras. Since there was no electricity I sat in the car, hooked up all the electrical to the inverter and sat around dumping the footage. While that was going on I called Anil and then went to pick him up from the hotel he was staying in at Old Road. Rahul Gandhi was in town and the whole place was chaotic with the security bandobast. He was due to leave in the afternoon and that was good news since we would have the town to ourselves once again. Anyway, while waiting for Anil to catch up, I bumped into Abhishek Biswas and his team who were shooting episodes of Wonderful World for Travel Trendz. Coincidental to have met up in Leh of all places. They were off to Dha Hanu to shoot the Aryan tribes there. I have never been there and some day would visit that village. There’s so much to see and do in and around this region that it marvels me to imagine that despite having been here so many times, I have managed to miss out on so many things. Dha Hanu for one. Zanskar for another. Beyond Nubra Valley and the Karakoram Pass.

Anyway, hooked up with Anil, came back to our Guest House and breakfast completed left to have a look-see of Leh. It was late in the day and there was probably not much we could pack in today, but we would make a start. The first stop was the Shey Palace. Then came my annual pilgrimage and the Thiksey Gompa. This is one place I manage to climb up the stairs to reach the sanctum sanctorum. And the statue of the Maitreyi Buddha was as pristine and as beautiful as ever. I sat there for almost two hours, meditated a bit, took pictures, made my peace with the Buddha and felt a whole lot more peaceful having accomplished what I had come to Leh for. Did you know that the statue of the Maitreyi Buddha is allegedly the most photographed work of art after the Mona Lisa?

Lunch was at the restaurant at the entrance of the monastery and then we drove down to the Sindhu Darshan site. It was a sad place to visit. Beautifully modelled, we saw a whole lot of cars parked next to the river, getting washed. There were a couple of other cars with the passengers enjoying their bottles of the golden brew. There should be some sort of security in place preventing such sacrilegious activities.

It was nearing sunset and there was not much else we could pack in today. I wanted to show Anil a glimpse of the airstrip he had landed in and I drove on to the Spituk Gompa which has a wonderful view of the runway. Anil was dumb founded. He knew that the landing at this air strip was tricky, but he did not realise exactly how tricky it was. The runway sloped upwards to give the aircraft some additional braking power. The runway is short. And it is surrounded by high mountains on all sides. He landing is manual and not instrument based. One of the trickiest airfields to land on and Anil was surprised that he managed to land in one piece. Looking at the strip from the Spituk Gompa he promised that henceforth he would drive in and not take a flight and chance Fate!

In the evening Anil and I went to meet the Commanding Officer of the Military Police soliciting his help and support during the expedition. He gladly extended all help possible in the truest and finest tradition of the Indian Army. After a cup of tea with his and extending our thanks and gratefulness, it was back to the Guest House and bed.

Tomorrow we will apply for the permits and hopefully the day after we will do a recce of the route that will comprise the Dirty Dozen, particularly the Tso Moriri sector. I have done that route many years ago and do not remember anything at all. A recce is certainly called for.

So till then, ciao and take care. I’ll see you when I’ll see you.

No comments: