Saturday, October 27, 2012

Travel Trendz Trilogy Update: Day 22, Oct 10




Today was workshop day. It started off by saying goodbye to Anil and Nadeem who flew off to Bangalore and Delhi respectively. Anil had been away from work for too long and though he wished he could be a part of the Trilogy, he just had to go back. Nadeem could not take the pressures of altitude anymore and decided to head for the warmer climes and lower altitudes that Delhi provided. Radhey Shyam and Sushil saw them off at the airport and brought back the water body/pump that the Gypuzu needed so badly. It had arrived and despite no identification papers, the airline cargo handed over the consignment and we were good to go. Breakfast done, we headed for the workshop and were prepared to leave for Tangtse in a couple of hours. The couple of hours dragged on and by the time the job was finished it was after four in the evening.

There was no way we could go to Tangtse today. And that meant that the Trilogy route had to be modified yet again. Well, we could always lose another day and start from Marsimik La, but the weather was closing in very fast and it had started to snow in the upper reaches. I did not want to risk being stranded up here because the roads had closed down. I had to get down into Manali and beyond.

So the revised plan is to start from Khardung La tomorrow morning. The route now will be Khardung La to Wari La to Chang La to Marsimik La to Tanglang La. That would finish the first attempt, that of the FIVE PASSES. I hope to complete this in about 15 hours. If I start at five in the morning from Khardung La, I should be at Tanglang La around eight in the evening.

The second attempt would start after Tanglang La as a continuation of the ride and the attempt is to cover as many passes as possible within 24 hours. Five done, I would come back to Upshi and head for the Tso Moriri region to cover Namshang La and Polokongka La. That would give me seven passes. I have no idea about the road from Polokongka La to the Morey Plain and I have not conducted a recce there. This stretch of the route is worrying me. I have to depend only on my GPS to see me through, more so since this stretch of the route will be in complete darkness! In the best of times there is no one to ask for directions and this time of the year, end of season and all, it is going to be worse. People tell me there is a road, but I doubt it. I have never seen it on the Morey Plains, where it is supposed to end! Scary thought and I am not looking forward to this stretch.

Once we hit the Morey Plains, will come Kangla Jal, Lachulung La, Nakeela and Baralacha La. I hope I can be at Baralacha La by around five in the morning. This will give me eleven passes traversed within 24 hours, a new world record.

Depending on how I feel, I will continue on to Rohtang for the the maximum passes covered in a single journey – TWELVE. This would be the third world record attempt. But I seriously doubt whether I will be physically be able to do the trip to Rohtang without some sort of a break to rest and recuperate – myself and the Gypuzu. Well, that’s the plan anyway.

I cannot afford to rest after Rohtang since the next attempt – TRANS HIMALAYAN TRAVERSE – would already have started at Khardung La. Because I want tog et off the mountain, I am combining all the attempts. I am losing almost 15-20 hours this way for the Trans Himalayan attempt, but I am hoping that once in the foothills I will be able to make ups ome time. I need to do Leh to Tezu in eight days or less, and I think it is possible. I am hoping that if I can make up an hour a day, I should be able to make up the lost time in the first stage.

Hope is what I am depending on and the confidence I have driving around this region. Like it is said, never deprive someone of hope, it might be the only thing he has. I have hope and confidence. Now I need your support, prayers and good wishes to see me through.

I need to get up at four in the morning and need some sleep. The last for the next week or so. So I will wish you good night and hope to see you soon during the Trilogy to catch up and update you. So long and cheers.

No comments: