Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Travel Trendz Trilogy Update: Day 4, Sep 22






Today was the big day. Well, the first of many big days. Today I was flagged off from IITM grounds. That was later in the afternoon. The day went off as expected from participation in an exhibition like this one ... busy. Divya Mohan and Anil Reddy from Via.com had flown in from Bangalore in the morning to flag me off, as had Tajamul Hussain from Hyderabad. Time went by looking at the car, generally yapping about the expedition, smoke breaks and then we went for lunch. Flag off was scheduled at 3:30 but by the time we came back from lunch, that time had come and gone. Flag off was almost an hour later. Divya did the honours while Anil sat shotgun with me. Anil will be joining me in Leh around the 2nd or 3rd of October. He will represent Via.com, one of India’s largest travel resources. They are also Travel Trendz partners for hotel and air bookings. The association with the Trilogy was our first foray towards the long term association. So far it looks like we are two peas in a pod and the relationship will be mutually beneficial to us both. Fingers crossed! 

Drove out of the venue and pointed the car in the direction of Delhi. I would be taking the road to Ahmedabad and then through Udaipur to Jaipur and finally Delhi. The distance was almost 1500km and it was already past six in the evening by the time I hit the highway. I was hoping to reach Delhi by next evening. Possible, given that people who consider themselves endurance drivers should be able to cover 1500km in a day!

The roads were fabulous and the miles were getting eaten up. I was still not entirely confident of how the Gypuzu would hold up driving non stop and I was not pushing it. In any case it does not have a great top speed and I was comfortably cruising at around 85 to 90 kilometres per hour. Traffic was decent, not too heavy and the roads were gorgeous. The landscape too was quite good.

By nightfall I was crossing Vadodara and then came Ahmedabad. Sleep was knocking boldly at the door and after driving a few kilometres, I realised that I better take a break. It was past one at night, the weather was a little muggy and the last few days had taken their toll. The excitement of flagg off had worn of and I was sinking into fatigue. It is never a good idea to drive when sleepy and I decided to grab some shut eye. Two to three hours was what I planned for. Snuggled up on the passenger seat with my feet spread out on the driver’s seat and under the steering wheel. The windows were rolled down just a wee bit for ventilation (my Gypuzu does not have an A/C) and I need some fresh air. Not that it made any difference since I was out like a light even before I could realise how uncomfortable I was.

There was some festival going on in the area and there were hordes of people walking towards something. There were langars set up every few kilometres, people were decked up for religious festivities and men women and children were all walking towards something, many of them barefeet. Don’t know what it was, but certainly something big with so many people out on the streets.

I did not care. I just dozed off and slept like there was no tomorrow. Tomorrow was another day.
 

No comments: