Saturday, September 29, 2012

Travel Trendz Trilogy Update: Day 9, Sep 27

 
Today was busy to say the least. There was so much that had piled up, stuff that had to be completed before I pushed off for the mountains. And if the stuff did not get done, then I could not leave. It was that hectic and that serious. And the item on top of my list was to pick up a laptop for my daughter. She had mentioned her desire once and never again. She had then spoken to all and sundry wondering if I would remember to get her the promised laptop. And yes I did. One check box ticked away.

There was so much to do as far as the Trilogy was concerned and I was out from home bright and early and by the time I came back it was past sundown. And I was supposed to flag off at ten.

One major job got done in the afternoon was the permit to enter Arunachal Pradesh. The whole State is a restricted area and everyone requires an Inner Line Permit to enter. It did not take long, about a couple of hours, but I did not have a couple of hours to spare. Nonetheless, the permit was acquired.

And while I was waiting for the Arunachal permit, I spoke to the Nepalese Embassy enquiring about the formalities of taking my own vehicle into the country. Piece of cake as I came to know. Just carry your vehicle papers – registration, insurance and pollution – pay the requisite daily fee for the duration you would like to drive around Nepal, and bingo, drive straight through. The other advantage is that since it is such a busy border, the entry formalities can be completed any time of the day ... or night.

That leaves Bhutan. It should take me more than a day and a bit to cross over from Phuentsholing to Samdrup Zongkhar. I guess I will apply for the permit when I enter Bhutan. Having already ridden there on my bike, I kind of know the procedure. Quick and hassle free, without any of the red tape that we seem to have gotten used to and taken for granted.

By the time I got back home, Shams and Nadeem were waiting for me. We were supposed to yap together on the journey, trying to figure out how best to document it. Sushil too joined us, but I was too pooped to think straight. We just yapped about everything in general. Stuff was packed and segregated. I would carry on alone from Manali on the Trans Himalayan expedition while the support vehicle along with Nadeem would come back to Delhi. I had to make sure that everything I required for the solo trip would fit into my vehicle. It did, and quite admirably.

A bath and some very very brief relaxation later, I walked up the stairs of the house to seek the customary blessings from my mother and say bye to the picture frame that carried his photograph. Seven minutes after midnight and we were off for a tryst with destiny. I was looking forward to being back in the mountains and I was hoping that this time round, our luck would not as rotten as it was during our 2008 Cliff Riders attempt.

Wishing the entire team Godspeed, I will now see you from the road. Cheers.
 

No comments: